Sunday, November 23, 2014

Apple Cider Cocktails

cocktails apple cider
In my last post, I wrote about my adventures in making homemade apple cider. If you haven’t read about it yet check it out here. Since I was only able to make about two cups of apple cider, I decided to make some cocktails, to warm anyone up on a cold day. These cocktails could be served up at your next holiday party and don’t require too many fancy alcohols or ingredients. Feel free to substitute store bought cider if you decide to try these out yourself.

The first cocktail was simple and made me feel quite classy. This cocktail only required two ingredients, hence it’s super thoughtful name.

Champagne Cider

champagne cider

What you need: Champagne glass, a dry brut champagne, one shot of apple cider, sprig of rosemary (optional).
What to do: Pour the shot of cider into the bottom of a champagne glass and top with champagne. Garnish with a sprig of rosemary for bonus class. (I didn't have any L)
Serves: 1
Taste: 3/5  I think I prefer my champagne solo.
Difficulty Level: 1/5
Classiness Factor: 5/5

The next cocktail was a bit manlier for those men out there who think cocktails are lame. This drink is a variation on a Shandy, which is a beer mixed drink that is mixed half and half with a carbonated beverage or juice. I really enjoyed the taste or this one, and again it’s super easy to make with only two ingredients.

Cider Spice Shandy

beer lager shandy cider apple

What you need: Glass beer mug, a pint of Lager beer (I used a Stella Artois) and 1/2 cup apple cider.
What to do: Fill your beer mug up to a little less than half with apple cider and top with your lager. Clink beer mugs with a friend. Enjoy!
Serves: 1
Taste: 4/5
Difficulty Level: 1/5
Classiness Factor: 3/5

The last cocktail is perfect for curling up next to a fire or, in my case, under my electric blanket and reading a book. It reminds me a lot of mulled wine, but the gin adds a different kick, with a slight warming sensation on the way down.

Cider Gin and Tea

gin cider tea warm drinks

What you need: Your favorite mug, a black tea bag, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 shots of gin, about 3/4 cup apple cider, and a lemon wedge for garnish.
What to do: Bring cider and vanilla to a boil in a small pot. Remove from heat, add tea bag and steep for 3 minutes. Add gin. Pour into mugs and add lemon wedge to the rim.
Serves: 2
Taste: 4/5
Difficulty Level: 3/5
Classiness Factor: 4/5

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment